Wheelchair basketball is played by people with different level of physical disabilities that prevents running, jumping and pivoting. Riding on a wheelchair, a game of basketball is played among two teams of five players each.
The sport is very similar to regular basketball. The court, the hoop and the backboard are all of the same dimension. Each team has 12 players and only five on court at any point in time. The objective is to score as many baskets within four periods of 10 minutes each.
Players cannot travel with the ball and are required to throw or bounce after every two touches on their wheelchair. Unlike regular basketball, double dribble is not considered a violation. It is allowed to dribble again after picking up one’s dribble.
The scoring system is similar to able-bodied basketball. Free throws are worth one point, field goals are worth two points and field goals beyond the three-point line are worth three points.
Fouls occur when a player or their wheelchair comes into contact with their opponent, and the wheelchair is considered as an extension of the player’s body in relation to establishing responsibility for contact on the court.
Tentative Games Schedule for 31 July 2022
- – Women’s 3×3, Indonesia vs Cambodia – 11:00am (SGT) to 11:30am (SGT)
- – Men’s 3×3, Thailand vs Cambodia- 11:30am (SGT) to 12:00am (SGT)
- – Women’s 3×3, Thailand vs Philippines – 12:00pm (SGT) to 12:30pm (SGT)
- – Men’s 3×3, Cambodia vs Philippines – 12:30pm (SGT) to 1:00pm (SGT)
- – Women’s 3×3, Philippines vs Cambodia – 2:00pm (SGT) to 2:30pm (SGT)
- – Men’s 3×3, 3rd Place vs 4th Place, Bronze – 2:30pm (SGT) to 3:00pm (SGT)
- – Women’s 3×3, 3rd Place vs 4th Place, Bronze – 3:00pm (SGT) to 3:30pm
- – Men’s 3×3, Rank Number 1 vs Rank Number 2, Gold – 3:30pm (SGT) to 4:00pm (SGT)
- – Women’s 3×3, Rank Number 1 vs Rank Number 2, Gold – 4:00pm (SGT) to 4:30pm (SGT)